Re: docs qs (was: Re: Release notes translated to VI

>> Please try to email gnome-i18n instead of me directly. They will be
>> more
>> responsive and informed.
>
> OK, but they've probably seen enough of my questions recently.
> Whenever I start something different, it's difficult for me, so I
> have to ask a lot of questions.
>>
>> The .po is in the gnomeweb-wml module, as described here:
>> http://live.gnome.org/ReleaseNotes/Translating
>
> I have read the document, but I've only just started with CVS/SVN. I
> can commit my application .po files, but unless I have a very
> definite committal address which I can relate to my working copy, I
> don't know exactly what to do with anything else. Just saying:
>
> "Commit it to gnomeweb-wml/www.gnome.org/start/2.12/notes/docbook/
> LANG/LANG.po where LANG is your language code"
>
> isn't enough information for me. How does that relate to my working
> copy? Where do I put this document, so it's in the right place? I
> don't have a directory called www.gnome.org.
>
> Once I know where to create directories in my working copy, do I
> simply cd to the ../docbook/vi dir. and commit from there?

If you have checked the source out then, wherever, or however, you have
checked it out, you can just change the file and do a cvs commit.

> Do I edit a changelog?

With a text editor.

> I don't think we can assume that everyone is experienced in CVS.

But you need to learn that sometime. I recommend this:
http://developer.gnome.org/tools/cvs.html

>>> 3. I don't know how to add my language to gnomeweb-wml/www.gnome.org/
>>> start/2.12/notes/docbook/Makefile_shared.am_fragment (DOC_LINGUAS
>>> variable). What do I do?
>>
>> Edit the file and add your locale name to the list.
>
> Where do I find the file?

If you have checked out
gnomeweb-wml/www.gnome.org/start/2.12/
or you are somehow in the 2.12/ directory, then do
$ cd press_release
$ gedit ChangeLog

If you are not starting in exactly the same directory then you will need
to understand how to cd into the correct directory. I am quite confident
that you can do that.

> What do you mean by "your locale name"?

"vi" is a locale name, I think.

>> Sure. Try to make sure that the screenshots are similar to the
>> originals. If you can't translate all the screenshots, then it's
>> not the
>> end of the world.
>
> He's gone to a lot of trouble to send me quite a few shots, so I
> think we'll have a good representation. However, I'll need exact
> instructions on how to commit them, too.

There are already several translations, so you should already be able to
guess how your files and directories should look.

Create the figures directory. For instance, in your docbook/vi directory,
$ mkdir figures
$ cvs add figures
$ cd figures
$ cp yourdirectorysomewhere/figure-somethingorother.png .
$ cp yourdirectorysomewhere/figure-somethingorother.png .
(The filenames must be the same as the filenames in the original
docbook/C/figures/)
$ cvs add -kb *.png
(The -kb is for binary files in cvs. Try to remember it, though it is
annoying.)
$ cvs commit -m "Added vi figures."

>>> I can update the translation, but I don't know how to track build
>>> errors.
>>
>> http://live.gnome.org/ReleaseNotes/Translating
>> has a link to the build log.
>
> I know. However, I can't track build errors, since I don't know what
> they are. What am I supposed to look for? When I find it, what am I
> supposed to do?

If it doesn't look wrong then don't worry. If it looks wrong and/or
mentions "error" somewhere, then ask here or on irc.

> (I feel awfully stupid, asking all these basic questions, but I don't
> know the answers, and I need to know.)
>>
>> Do talk to gnome-i18n and the docs mailing list.
>
> _Another_ mailing list? Where do I find it, please?

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-doc-list/

Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com