Re: Release notes translated to VI

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 16:10 +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> Hello Murray :)

Please try to email gnome-i18n instead of me directly. They will be more
responsive and informed.

> Now I'm unconfused about due dates, the release notes and app.
> translations evidently not having the same dates, I've updated my
> translation (which I had out getting feedback from my co-ordinator
> meanwhile), and sent it out for final review.
>
> My current problems are:
>
> 1. I have the release notes translated and up-to-date, but I want
> them reviewed before publication. I've sent them to my co-ordinator,
> and hope he has time to do this. If not, we'll have to use them as-
> is. They make perfect sense, I just like to get things checked.

Checking is good. That's no problem.

> 2. I don't know how to commit to the address you gave. Would I just
> use my current gnome.org local copy, as this?
>
> Gnome/start/2.12/notes/docbook/vi/vi.po

The .po is in the gnomeweb-wml module, as described here:
http://live.gnome.org/ReleaseNotes/Translating

> I currently have the release notes doc as:
>
> Gnome/gnome-2-12/vi.po
>
> 3. I don't know how to add my language to gnomeweb-wml/www.gnome.org/
> start/2.12/notes/docbook/Makefile_shared.am_fragment (DOC_LINGUAS
> variable). What do I do?

Edit the file and add your locale name to the list.

> 4. I can't create localized screenshots because I don't run Gnome.
> I'm currently the only active Vietnamese translator in Gnome (or
> Debian, or KDE, or... :( ), but I run Mac OSX. I am very ill/disabled
> (progressively), and can just manage some translation, but learning
> anything new (like installing Gnome via X11) is beyond me now. I'll
> do whatever I can to help, in translation, but I need help myself
> with anything different.
>
> I've asked my co-ordinator, if he has time, to take some screenshots
> for me (he just installed Gnome 2.11, he says) and send them to me.
> Is that what we need?

Sure. Try to make sure that the screenshots are similar to the
originals. If you can't translate all the screenshots, then it's not the
end of the world.

> I can update the translation, but I don't know how to track build
> errors.

http://live.gnome.org/ReleaseNotes/Translating
has a link to the build log.

> I will certainly post the release notes at Vietnamese open-source sites.
>
> Sorry not to be able to do things. :(  On a more positive note, I
> would really like to get into translating documentation, once I have
> the application files all done. So i look forward to discussing that
> with you. I'm very impressed with the docs status pages.

Do talk to gnome-i18n and the docs mailing list.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com