Re: Committing to branches :(

On àà., 2005-09-01 at 18:15 +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> On 30/08/2005, at 5:38 PM, Ross Golder wrote:
>
> > You don't need to specify the branch when committing, as your working
> > directory will already be associated with a particular branch (or just
> > HEAD) as indicated by the CVS/Tag file.
>
> Well, you're quite right, these files don't have that Tag file in the
> CVS dir. Can I create the filename/CVS/Tag file, then insert the text:
>
> T branchname
>
> e.g. for gdm2
>
> T gnome-2-12
>
> Would that work?
>
> It's really frustrating, and, for the gnome-2-12 files, I'm worried
> they'll miss the release. :(

I very nearly added a note to say 'don't be tempted to just make up the
Tag file'!

The way to do things, IIRC, is to do a 'cvs update -r gnome-2-12'. Don't
forget to back up your data in case it does anything nasty! If you ever
need to switch a working directory back to HEAD, use 'cvs update -A'.
Translators would probably want to keep a seperate copy of both around,
up to them.

That will basically pull the patches between whatever version your
working directory currently is (likely HEAD) and the version you are
requesting (gnome-2-12 branch), apply them to your working directory
(report any conflicts) and add the appropriate CVS/Tag files.

>From there, you can copy your backed-up gnome-2-12 po files over the
top, msgfmt them, cvs diff them, and when you're all happy and
confident, cvs commit them.

Hope this helps,

--
Ross