Re: Translation status pages

On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 23:04 +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
> tis 2005-09-20 klockan 13:24 +0700 skrev Ross Golder:

> > > Hmm, I thought you had another offer. Anyway, I am still willing to
> > > help.
> >
> > If you'd prefer not to host it on your own server, and if there is
> > willing to maintain it, I expect some space could possibly be arranged
> > on one of the real gnome.org servers. It's just easier for the GNOME
> > sysadmins to set up a DNS entry than it is to set up new user accounts
> > and a secure/capable hosting area etc. It would probably get rolling
> > quicker if hosted externally, at least to begin with ;)
>
> I agree with Ross; an external solution is probably the best in the
> short run, but in the long run, GNOME translation status pages and the
> translation status page scripts make sense to have hosted on the
> gnome.org servers. That will make sure that:
>
> * There are always several people distributed around the world who can
> access the machine and fix it if needed (gnome.org sysadmins)
> * The pipe is already a *very* Fat (tm) one
> * The status pages will not be inaccessible again when some single
> individual moves/goes on vacation/loses his job/gets hit by a bus and is
> unable to maintain them
> * The translation status pages will have access to the repository which
> sits right next to it at the very same location
>
> The only thing needed for the translation status pages to be hosted at
> the real, live gnome.org servers is for someone to figure out what kind
> of CPU/memory/disk resources it needs, and is prepared to help set it
> up, or at least give sufficient instructions for having it set up.
>
> So what's the required configuration?

root gandalf:/srv/l10n # du -hs .
6.9G    .

and the process takes near 4 hours with an AMD Sempron(tm)   2800+ and
768MB of RAM

With more RAM and faster CPU the process should be also faster. The main
problem here is the hard disk I/O that's why we had to move it outside
widget the first time, the server load was really high.

As I said in other email, I don't mind to give shell access to you
(Christian), danilo or any GNOME admin to have a "backup"

Cheers.

--
Carlos Perellà MarÃn
Ubuntu Hoary (PowerPC)  => http://www.ubuntulinux.org