i18n issue

Hi, i'm facing with an i18n issue.
I've a bunch of html templates. Those files are not complete html documents,
but snippet of html code. At run time i compose them into a complete html
document.
I would like to add i18n to the strings contained into those files, while
avoiding having a copy of html code for each translated template into my
source tree.
I'm using gettext.
Is there a way to make gettext extract the strings and at make install time a
way to generate the templates for each language available?
Eventually i can at run time pass the string to gettext, but i still need to
make gettext extract the strings.
How can i achieve that?

Thanks in advice for any help
--