Re: Currencies list?

ÎÏÎÏ 29/ÎÎÏ/2005, ÎÎÎÏÎ ÎÏÎÏÎ ÎÎÎ ÏÏÎ 19:49, Î/Î Christian Rose ÎÎÏÎÏÎ:
> tis 2005-03-29 klockan 17:41 +0200 skrev Murray Cumming:

> > > The currency codes and names are listed in ISO 4217, see:
> > > http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/popstds/currencycodes.html
> > > http://www.xe.com/iso4217.htm
> > >
> > > What programming language are you interested in? I suppose C?
> >
> > Yes, C/C++.
> >
> > > There is already a textual domain for currency names, maintained at
> > > the Translation Project:
> > > http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/translation/registry.cgi?domain=iso_4217
> >
> > Thanks, but I'm not sure how I should use this in my application.
> >
> > For instance
> > - how could I get a list of currencies.
> > - how could I get a translation of a currency name, in the current
> > locale?
>
> The iso* domains in the Translation Project are what translators see of
> the "iso-codes" package (see
> http://people.debian.org/~mckinstry/iso-codes-0.45.tar.gz). That package
> contains XML files with some or all of the information you list above.
> As I understand it, you should be able to depend on that package, and
> get the translations from it.

The above URL does not seem to work at the moment. You can try
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/misc/iso-codes

To use the textual domain, I copy from the README file of the package:

``Currently there are lists of languages and countries embedded in:

- Gnome Libs
- bootfloppies / PGI
- KDE
- Gnumeric
- Gnucash
- ...''

``So the plan is then to be able to use
        dgettext("iso-639", language_name)
to get the correct translations.''

In addition, it recommends to contact the maintainer of the iso-codes
package when you are considering to make an implementation, as the
current format is in flux.

Kexchange (http://www.favorin.com/projects/kexchange/) does not make use
of iso-codes but rather translates again the currency names.

Simos