Re[2]: Basque team new cvs account

Kaixo Dooteo,

I had the same problem with Georgian translations too, but lately
solved the issue with developing an online glossary management tool.

Like Christian suggested, this could make the l10n process so much
easier and more productive.

You can take a look at the Georgian GNOME l10n site at
http://gakartuleba.sapikhvno.org/glossary_en.php

The system lists all the terms from GNOME common glossary, as well as
suggested Georgian translaiions for the term (you can easily create
Basque suggested terms from the PO files your team has already
translated). Users can register and provide their own versions, as
well as comment on suggestions other members have proposed. As soon as
the coordinator thinks there is an acceptable and agreeable Georgian
version of a term, he can approve it. As soon as all the terms are
approved (and it should nt take more than a month of active
collaboration), the terms should be fed to a TM (Translation Memory)
of a l10n tool (e.g. gtranslater, kbabel or poedit), which will
automatically suggest the approved terms when localizing a PO file, as
well as speed up the whole l10n process enormously :)

The good thing about glossary management is that it is possible to
have a public discussion of the terms and all the IT experts and
linguists interested can participate in the creation process.

I developed the glossary management tool described above specially
for some Georgian l10n projects, but it can be easily modified to suit
other language needs too.

There are also some nice l10n management applications, pootle and
webtionary being some of them, though I do not have much experience
with them. Pootle also allows users to do an online translation,
though, as far as I know, TM is not supported yet.

If you can not create a team website for some reason, you can also ask
pootle team to register Bascue at http://pootle.wordforge.org which
will allow your team members to login and do online translations (I am
not sure if this would be suitable or desireable for your teams
interests).

Anyway, if there is anything I can do for you, feel free to mail me or
post a qustion here and I am sure everyone will be more than willing
to support your team.

Good luck with Euskara translations and to everybody from Basque l10n
team :-)

Aiet Kolkhi
http://www.gakartuleba.org

d> Hi Christian and Mikel,

d> Mikel (aka Hey_neken) is a GNOME basque translator, and he is helping me
d> to translate this desktop.

d> It's true that last 3 months I've didn't upload nothing to CVS, this is
d> the reason: last months I'm working on a Debian based basque distro for
d> Basque Goverment, so working with B.Gov's translators there are a lot of
d> new packages translated (they finnished two weeks ago). I'm fixing those
d> PO and help files before update CVS. I think next week will be able to
d> upload most of them.

d> By the other hand, Basque translation team (Mikel and me, and other
d> voluntaries) are working slowly. This is the procedure: all PO
d> translated PO files have to be submited to me (to overview and fix the
d> used terminology). After that are uploaded to CVS. I'd like to follow
d> this way because on PO files are a lot of new terminology that all
d> translator should be uses, but unfortunatly sometimes it doesn't
d> happend. And Basque language needs to use/create those new terminology
d> and translation style.

d> B.Gov's translator and me have several discussion about which new
d> terminology adjust to original messages, which are better and which make
d> confuse the user. B.G. translators have need more than 6 months to make
d> they're job. More or less they're translated 400.000 words (including
d> OOo's new messages and GNOME's help files).

d> I think that it's very important to use the same terminology and style
d> on all translated files: why? Because if we think from a normal users
d> view, all the programs should be with the same messages style and
d> terminology (glossary), in other case users can loose they're mind
d> trying to understand the meaning of the messages, and they would think
d> that GNOME programs are not so easy to use.

d> I think it's more effective to review translated files before submit to
d> CVS, than have to be reviewing them after (once they are submited and
d> propagate to all GNU/Linux distros).

d> That's why I'd preffer to follow being GNOME Basque coordinator (and the
d> task it suposses to me) to force GNOME Basque translated files to use a
d> unified basque language.

d> Christian, if you think it's better to give grant to Mikel to access to
d> CVS, do it.

d> Mikel, if you want to take responsibility, it would be okey for me too.
d> In that case we will be to organize ourself to review all submited
d> files :)

d> Best regards for all,

d> Dooteo