Re: Difficult strings (was: Re[2]: i18n and GNOME hackers)

On 09/06/2005, at 6:00 PM, Funda Wang wrote:

Thanks. I was thing of it at first. But what is that? Are the LAN cards
really different from the WAN cards? I've never heard of such a device
named as "WAN cards", besides ADSL modem, Cable modem, ATM adaptor, etc.

Some adaptors or modems get re-named as "cards", which is sloppy, I agree.

The real problem is that, the developers are creating words which are not
commonly used, such as spatial mode of Nautilus. Why it is called spatial
mode, rather than "creating seperated window for every folder"? I've googled
"spatital mode", and it seems all the results are related to nautilus, which
means nautilus is naming the most common concept in a different phrase.

It's certainly a problem: sometimes, it seems that marketing people, in particular, are trying to make something basic and simple sound very complex and impressive (in their view). Quite a lot of computing terms have been forcibly (and often unpleasantly) altered to fit some specific situation. That makes them difficult to handle even in the original language.

"windowing" instead of "managing windows"
"mousing" instead of "moving the mouse"

and "spatial mode", AFAIK, has nothing but its literal meaning, so if Nautilus is messing around with it, they need to attach an explanation. <sigh> But they don't, and we get stuck trying to make sense out of it all.

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

á thÃnh phá Renmark, tái mián sÃng cáa Nam Ãc