Difficult strings (was: Re[2]: i18n and GNOME hackers)

On 09/06/2005, at 1:57 AM, Funda Wang wrote:

BTW, Frederic, Mandriva specific tools are always hard to translate sometimes,
because Mandriva are not using the most commonly used words. I haven't heard of
something named "WAN cards", for example. But, Mandriva guys response quickly
then normal GNOME hackers ;)

WAN cards: Wide Area Network cards, Funda, AFAIK. You would use the same word you use for "card" in "Ethernet card" or "PCMCIA card", and use "Wide Area Network" as the following compound adjective. The card is a piece of hardware which enables the computer to use that service/ technology. A wide area network extends _beyond_ the local machines: you can't reach it without connecting to the Internet. The Net itself is the widest area network we have. ;)

There is also WLAN: Wireless LAN, Wireless Local Area Network. A local area network can be reached _without_ going online: a business, school or organization may have several computers in that one place, linked by Ethernet or wireless networking, and thus they form a network of their own, independent of the Net if necessary.

Please post difficult strings here so we can all share our experience and make them easier to translate for all of us. :)

I have a list of Internet terms and acronyms (including chat shorthand) explained online [1], in English and Vietnamese. Although of course it's far from comprehensive, I keep adding to it, and will add any terms requested.

There is a much more comprehensive list of chat/messaging acronyms, in English only, at Netlingo. [2]

FOLDOC [3] is a great resource for explaining technical computing terms in English.

Back to debconf <sigh>.

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

á thÃnh phá Renmark, tái mián sÃng cáa Nam Ãc

[1] http://www.riverland.net.au/~clytie/viet/netacrvn.html
[2] http://www.netlingo.com/emailsh.cfm
[3] http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/index.html