Re: [OT] gnome-doc-utils strings

Hello Yavor (and list), thanks for your reply. :)

On 16/07/2005, at 10:52 PM, Yavor Doganov wrote:

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 14:01:06 +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:

I have no doubt in your motivation and can only congratulate you for your
tremendous efforts.

Thankyou. I'm always impressed by how much effort the relatively few active people in OSS put in to support the mass of users (and the people who turn up on mailing lists saying, "I'd use your free app. if you spent the next year implementing these changes"... ;) )

You got me wrong; probably it is my fault that I haven't expressed myself
correctly.

There's always a gap in communication, even between two speakers of the same language. I'm sorry I misinterpreted you.

I am not saying that vi translations are a mess, neither I was
implying similar analogy. Perfectly documented/commented templates will
be awesome, but testing the translation is a must, at least in my
language. Maybe I should have said it in another way, maybe it is my
personal judgement as I never translate apps that I don't understand and
haven't actually seen.

I agree with you that it's the best way to go. Fortunately, as Danilo mentioned, I can run Unix/Linux apps under Mac OSX (which has a BSD base), using fink, opendarwin or simply installing source directly. Also, our family network has a mix of Mac and Linux machines. Both my husband and my son are keen Debian users, and give me feedback, as do many other users. I still think that moment when you see your translation come up on the screen, the first time you see that app., in your language, is worth all the effort. :D

I've said this before, but I think internationalization is not about how good your English is: it's about who you are, about identity, and about feeling at home with your computer and software.

I am currently investigating the pointers that Danilo gave. If we can
extract useful information without bothering the developers, it'll be a
big win for all translation teams.

Definitely. Although I still think developers need regular feedback on how clear and understandable their strings are: they do have a responsibility there.

I meant the source code. I have to agree with Danilo that looking at the
source code is a waste of time and certainly not the most pleasant job for
a translator.

Also confusing, if you don't or can't use that language. I think we're going to get more translators who have less computing skills and less time to devote, and thus we'll benefit from simplifying the process and distributing the load, if possible.

Once again I apologise and regret that you have treated it as an insult.

Thankyou. I'm sorry I misinterpreted you.

As the string freeze approaches, I will shut up and try to concentrate on
translations, rather than writing useless messages that abuse people.

We have a troll on the Debian-Women list, if you feel like a break from translation... ;)

However, I won't change my attitude to proprietary software.

I don't think we discussed that, but we probably agree there. :)

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)