Re: gnome-doc-utils strings (was Re: New module : GNOME PowerManager)

On 14/07/2005, at 4:42 PM, Yavor Doganov wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:04:07 +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:

It is essential to know the purpose of the string. Background like:
_______________
Type: menu item
Function: brings up a dialogue which allows the user to modify
currently-highlighted text
Original: Edit
_______________
is much better than just "Edit" on its own. The less information in
the string, the more explanation we need.

This would be a substantial burden to the developers.

Perhaps, but it's their responsibility to create clearly translatable templates. ;)

Absolutely off-topic, for which I apologise: I've noticed that you're
quite actively translating GNOME and debconf templates. How can you
possibly do this effectively if you are not running a GNU system? Apple
Mail, AFAIK, runs only on the proprietary system MacOS X. We had one
translator in the past who was blindly translating on Windows and the
result was pretty painful -- all translations were a mess. That usually
happens when there is no possibility to test the translation.

I am translating these templates because nobody else will do it. Of course it would be better to have people who are using those systems, doing the translations: if you find any Vietnamese translator who is willing to take over any of the work, please send him or her to me!

I am currently the _only_ active Vietnamese translator in Gnome or Debian. I am trying to change that. I have managed to attract a couple of new people to the Translation Project (where I was until then also the only active Vietnamese translator), and hope that they will be able to expand their activities once they get used to the requirements. I am also helping to resuscitate the KDE-vi project, which was completely dead.

I certainly hope none of my translations are a mess, which I also hope is not what you are implying. Any bug reports will be as welcome as more translators. I do have users sending me feedback, which is very welcome and useful.

I won't be doing this very long, so don't let it bother you. Hopefully, I will be able to revitalize the Vietnamese translation area meanwhile.

Most of the code is very well commented,

No, it's not. Certainly not in the files I've translated. Most of it is completely bare of comments.

so if you doubt for a particular
string you can always checkout from CVS and open the relevant file in
another buffer of Emacs ;-) Or you can always check how other people have
translated it (f.i. our team is "using" the experience of the Russian,
Serbian and Macedonian teams).
There are some strings which are ambigous, but you can always test your
translation and make the right decision. Asking the developers to comment
every string in detail sounds crazy (at least to me).

I think at least commenting as many as possible would make a big difference.

P.S. Have you tried GNUMail.app?

Yes, it doesn't have the features I need.

Your email is extremely inappropriate in my culture. I fail to see where making these kinds of insinuations is at all useful, or positive in contributing to this i18n list.

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)