Re: terminal

Hi Pau,

Today at 15:14, Pau Amaro-Seoane wrote:

> Actually I fixed the problem a couple of hours before you wrote. I added
> at the end of /etc/profile export LANG=ca_ES\ euro and now I have
> everything in Catalan...
>
> But... This also changed the default font of my terminal, so just for
> couriousity I "switched" it off and tried your advice.
>
> localedef -c -f UTF-8 -i ca_ES ca_ES.UTF-8
>
> But then I realised that all "special" characters are not recognised any
> more... I mean accents, cedille, german umlauts etc...

It's because you used UTF-8, whereas you're probably used to
ISO-8859-15 or ISO-8859-1 in terminal.  Try replacing "UTF-8" with one
of these above (I prefer UTF-8, because it allows me to use more than
just a couple of languages).

Also try looking at /usr/share/i18n/locales/ for ca_ES euro locale or
similar.  Then, instead of the above command do this:

  localedef -c -f ISO-8859-15 -i ca_ES euro ca_ES euro

(i.e. you'd use ca_ES euro for input, instead of ca_ES).

I hope this will help!

> By the way, it is very comforting to see that people at the other side of
> the screen have humor sense!

I hope you were not offended there :)

Cheers,
Danilo