Re: What some of the things in po-locations stand for/mean

Hi Telsa,

Today at 17:10, Telsa Gwynne wrote:

> I am happy to, if people don't mind Locations.xml.in growing even
> larger.

Of course not! :)

> How long can a comment be and still remain valid? I have noticed
> that only the last comment gets pulled into the .po files.

Multi-line comments should be allowed, so they can be of any length.
Feel free to write essays there, and if intltool borks, I'm the one to
nag about it :)

> For example, all of the Belgium placenames have three comments
> preceding them, but only the last comment makes it into the po
> file. I do not plan to write essays, but how much room do I have? :)

Plenty.  Just go ahead and try it :)

> Also, what should I do about the strings which recur? It seems
> silly to put "Automatic weather reporting station" in front of
> each "Awrs", for example. (There are currently four.) But perhaps
> it might be more useful if I do?

There is no guarantee for the order of messages in PO files, and
translators might not be doing it sequentially anyway.  It's best if
you put comments along with every occurence of a problematic string.

> Thanks, btw, to Francisco, GÃbor, Rodolfo, Jan, Gudmund and Alan
> for suggestions on- and off-list. Much appreciated. I'd never have
> realised what some of those were on my own.

Great work by all you guys!

Cheers,
Danilo