Re: Formatting a date/time string

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 20:44 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> Is there a standard format string that we can use to produce a short
> representation of the date and time?  Or should we just use %c and
> assume that the locale data will be acceptable to the user?

The standard way to do it is using whatever makes sense to use for
United States English that strftime offers (say "%b %e, %y ..."), then
make it translatable with a comment like: "translators should try to
make this as short as possible, while mentioning the complete date and
mentioning both minutes and hours in the translation". Something like
that.

We will try to make date and time formatting better in Giulia
(http://live.gnome.org/LocaleProject), possibly even as the first
priority, but the project is currently inactive because of the very
limited developer resources.

roozbeh