Re: Thai Numbering in gnome-doc-utils

Shaun McCance wrote:

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 00:09 +0000, Simos Xenitellis wrote:

Shaun McCance wrote:

So here's the Wikipedia entry on Greek numerals:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_numerals

Would you consider its definition of the Ionic numeral system
to be correct?  Would you prefer ÏÂ or ÏÏÂ be used for 6?
Also, I don't think I've ever seen a document with a million
sections, so I'm going to assume it's all right for me to
stop trying after 999,999.

Indeed, it is ok to go up to 999,999.
For number 6 please use ÏÏÂ
For 90 and 900, use the standard Ancient Greek symbols. In practical terms I believe those two numbers will not pop up very often.
It is the most common in modern Greek, though there are some occurences of ÏÂ.
(Source: http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n1938.pdf)

Quick question: An inverted acute is placed before a character to make it larger by a factor of 1000. So ÎÂ is 4, but ,ÎÂ is 4000. All well and good. But then, we're using ÏÏ instead of Ï for 6. There's no ambiguity there, because Ï and Ï are both digits in the 100s places, so they would never otherwise appear together.

But now, what do we do when we want 6000? Is it jut ,ÏÏÂ or
do we prefix both characters, as in ,Ï,ÏÂ? With the former,
it's not clear if it means ,ÏÂ = 6000 or ,ÏÂ + ÏÂ = 200300.
Do I prefix both characters?

This is an interesting question. The issue here is that there is no single codepoing to represent ÏÏ.
In addition to this, ÏÏ is a recent addition (last 80 years?) to Greek alphabetic numerals.
Therefore, the general public would not recognise Ï if it was used to represent 6.
I expect the Greek alphabetic numerals will be most often used for numbered lists which should go up to 15-20.
I am not sure if the numerals can be used for page numbers, and in this case they should typically go up to around 1000.

Thus, please use ,ÏÂ for 6000.

Cheers,
Simos