Re: Thai Numbering in gnome-doc-utils

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 00:09 +0000, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> Shaun McCance wrote:
> >So here's the Wikipedia entry on Greek numerals:
> >
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_numerals
> >
> >Would you consider its definition of the Ionic numeral system
> >to be correct?  Would you prefer ÏÂ or ÏÏÂ be used for 6?
> >Also, I don't think I've ever seen a document with a million
> >sections, so I'm going to assume it's all right for me to
> >stop trying after 999,999.
> >

> Indeed, it is ok to go up to 999,999.
> For number 6 please use   ÏÏÂ
> For 90 and 900, use the standard Ancient Greek symbols. In practical
> terms I believe those two numbers will not pop up very often.
> It is the most common in modern Greek, though there are some occurences
> of  ÏÂ.
> (Source: http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n1938.pdf)

Quick question: An inverted acute is placed before a character
to make it larger by a factor of 1000.  So ÎÂ is 4, but ,ÎÂ is
4000.  All well and good.  But then, we're using ÏÏ instead of
Ï for 6.  There's no ambiguity there, because Ï and Ï are both
digits in the 100s places, so they would never otherwise appear
together.

But now, what do we do when we want 6000?  Is it jut ,ÏÏÂ or
do we prefix both characters, as in ,Ï,ÏÂ?  With the former,
it's not clear if it means ,ÏÂ = 6000 or ,ÏÂ + ÏÂ = 200300.
Do I prefix both characters?

--
Shaun