Re: Committing to branches :(

On 30/08/2005, at 3:19 PM, Ross Golder wrote:

When reporting problems *always* cut'n'paste the command you used and
the output it produced, including error message. Without it, we haven't
really got a clue what you're talking about ;)

Um, there aren't any problems actually committing. The files commit fine. But they don't show up on the status pages. That's the only error there is.

If there was no error messages (or just harmless warnings) when you
commit, chances are the commit completed successfully. If you want to be
sure, you can check using viewcvs. I don't know how often the status
pages get updated - that's a question for the i18n list, but I don't
think it's automatic.

It's pretty much daily, very efficient.

The above link shows you've recently committed to HEAD. Note the Branches/Tags column, which shows which branch a commit is made on.

Oh, @#$%, I want to commit to the gnome-2-12 branch. I just tried re- checking out the whole gnome-2-12/gdm2/po directory, and recommitting my edited file, so I'll see if that works, I suppose. Do you need to use a branch when writing "cvs commit"? I don't think I needed that when I was committing to gnome-2-10, and that worked OK.

You can also examine the status of one of your local working directories
by checking for a 'Tag' file in the 'CVS' subdir in your working copy.
If the file exists, it will contain a 'T' and then the name of the
branch/tag. For HEAD, it will simply be missing.

Thankyou, that's very helpful.

Don't worry. Confusion dissolves with experience :) You'll get the hang
of it eventually. I think everyone does things differently. Your way
seems fine to me.

Thankyou. I just need it to seem fine to the branches. ;)

CCing i18n in case these notes help other translators (and because I wanna be a cross-posting maniac).

I think Dante had a special branch for cross-posters... :D

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)