Re: Committing to branches :(

On à., 2005-08-30 at 13:23 +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> Hi guys :)
>
> It's your perennial CVS muddler again.
>
> I'm doing fine with HEAD files, but I can't seem to commit to
> branches. This is worrying, because I've got to get as many files in,
> in the next 24hrs + (I'm not quite sure of the timezone) for release.
>
> The files I haven't been able to commit are listed below. Would you
> please check and see if the ChangeLogs show me trying to commit, and
> if so, why the completed file doesn't show up on the status pages?
>
> Thankyou very much. :)

When reporting problems *always* cut'n'paste the command you used and
the output it produced, including error message. Without it, we haven't
really got a clue what you're talking about ;)

If there was no error messages (or just harmless warnings) when you
commit, chances are the commit completed successfully. If you want to be
sure, you can check using viewcvs. I don't know how often the status
pages get updated - that's a question for the i18n list, but I don't
think it's automatic.

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gdm2/po/ChangeLog

CAUTION: hit stop after the first few seconds - this is a **LONG** page
and you're only interested in the top few pages worth.

The above link shows you've recently committed to HEAD. Note the
Branches/Tags column, which shows which branch a commit is made on.

You can also examine the status of one of your local working directories
by checking for a 'Tag' file in the 'CVS' subdir in your working copy.
If the file exists, it will contain a 'T' and then the name of the
branch/tag. For HEAD, it will simply be missing.

> When committing to a branch, I simply change to that directory, edit
> the ChangeLog, and use "cvs commit". I haven't necessarily checked
> out the branch, often files have branched, so I move their
> directories into a branch directory. Should that matter? The
> directories have the right name, e.g gnome-2-12.
>
> gnome-2-12/gdm2
> gnome-2-12/gnome-volume-manager
> branch-0_9/meld
> glib-2-8/glib
>
> btw, I never had any problems committing the gnome-2-10 files, but I
> checked them out with the branch. Hmm...

Don't worry. Confusion dissolves with experience :) You'll get the hang
of it eventually. I think everyone does things differently. Your way
seems fine to me.

CCing i18n in case these notes help other translators (and because I
wanna be a cross-posting maniac).

--
Ross