Re: Supported languages in 2.12

Thanks for your reply, Danilo :)

On 24/08/2005, at 10:43 PM, Danilo Åegan wrote:

Please be patient: I'll be updating the notes only once or twice, and
I'm going to do that near the end of the cycle, instead of doing it a
dozen times.

Thus coping with several indignant translation teams at once. ;)

Yeah, and you just had to push it :-P

<hastily conceals large stirring spoon>

:D

I am innocent, INNOCENT, I tell you!

If it's in the weekly translation status, then it will be in the release notesâI am using exactly the same data for both :)

Great: you might have saved yourself some mails by saying that in the first post. ;)

(fwiw, if anyone wants access to entire database with such global statistics as can be seen in weekly stats for a period of more than a year, for instance to create nice graphs of fluctuation of number of supported and partially supported languages, I'd be glad to let them have it â I have data for every day except when there was a problem somewhere :)

That would be cool. :) Not something I can do right now, though.

I'd hate to see all our effort go to waste. ;)

No need to worry at all :)

<phew> ;)

World-wide Vietnamese-speaking population: a minimum of 84 million
people

Just don't make a big fuss out of this figure: I will be using value from http://www.ethnologue.com/14/show_language.asp?code=VIE which is 68 million instead, but if you are going to cause me problems because of this, I will oblige :)

I thought you wanted population stats. ;) Census July 2005 in Vietnam was 83.5 million, and there are at least half a million Vietnamese people living in other countries, 100 000 of them in Australia with me. :) (Well, not actually in my house: we don't have enough bedrooms.)

However, the number of Vietnamese people in Vietnam who have access to computers is pitifully low. :( Increasing rapidly, but still tiny. Outside the homeland, of course, in the sort of countries which take in and support surviving refugees, there is plenty of access.

I don't think our community would benefit from the computer-using figures being made public. :(

As for causing you problems, I'm a bit busy right now, but anything for a friend... :D

It's just a very rough estimate to give human touch to the translation stats, and by no means does it mean that so many people will be able to use the translation (some may not even be able to read, most will not have a computer AND Gnome on it, etc.).

Worse still, they may use Windoze! :o

(The shame, the shame ... )

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)