Re: "Automatic" UI translations showing word translations along with original

Hi Ross,

Today at 14:55, Ross Golder wrote:

> However, I still it would be even cooler (and less cluttered) to be able
> to toggle between two languages (and have all the windows re-translate
> themselves on the fly) as easily as switching between keyboard layouts.

It would be nice and fun, but not possible in the short term
(everything would have to be rewritten, since a lot of stuff is using
cached gettext() calls, etc.).

> This would also work for languages where translating individual words is
> not so straightforward (as the real, full, confirmed translation will
> then be visible). I still haven't looked for or reported this as a
> feature request in bugzilla yet (/me kicks himself).

We had this discussion somewhere recently (I don't remember if it was
here, on d-d-l, in Bugzilla or on IRC), and we all agree it would be
desireable, but not that easy to implement (actually, it would be
quite simpler if you are writing a new application and not using any
Gtk+ stock items).

Another approach might be to make use of ATK introspection: is it
possible to change stuff with it, or is it limited to reading UI?

Cheers,
Danilo