Re: "Automatic" UI translations showing word translations along with original

Hi Simos,

Today at 22:51, Simos Xenitellis wrote:

> Suppose the resources to translate to a specific language are not
> there but there is a dictionary available.
> It's possible to autotranslate the user-interface words so that the
> text appears as
>
> Before: Press here
> After: Press(Pulse) here(aqui)

Very interesting and original approach.

> Would that be useful?

I can't tell myself, because I am fairly good at English.  I guess I
should imagine a French/Chinese interface with Serbian dictionary
lookups in the parentheses, and then I'd certainly feel it's much more
understandable.  Provided dictionary gives good hints, which is not
always true.

Still, we prefer full translations :)

> Well, Tim Foster (http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/timf/20050816)
> tried it out, so have a look at the screenshot
> he created and post your comments!
> Try to think if there would be any application of this functionality.

It looks impressive, if for nothing else, for originality.  I can't
judge the usability of the idea right now: that's best done by testing
novice users IMO.

Cheers,
Danilo