Re: Screenshots for the documentation, a question

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 00:19 +0100, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'ld like to ask a preference question when taking screenshots for
> the
> GNOME Documentation.
> When taking screenshots of the Clearlooks theme, GIMP does not do a
> good
> job regarding
> the top left and top right edges of the image. For example,
> http://www.isg.rhul.ac.uk/~simos/misc/gtk-colour-wheel.png
>
> You will notice that this area is black, as the theme has a rounded
> title bar.
> Therefore, it's good to retouch manually so that you get a result
> similar to
> http://www.isg.rhul.ac.uk/~simos/misc/gtk-colour-wheel-shadow.png
>
> My question is, as these screenshots go in documentation, meaning
> that
> the background is white,
> is it better to have this variation?
> http://www.isg.rhul.ac.uk/~simos/misc/gtk-colour-wheel-shadow-reduced.png
>
> It would be good to be uniform in our documentation.
>
> In addition, if adding shadows and retouching the screenshots is a
> lot
> of effort, I would like to suggest
> to localisers to add basic screenshots in the figures/ directory and
> have a few people working on them to get them look nice.
> What do you think?

Gnome's screenshot tool does a much better job with rounded corners.
It actually makes them round, with transparency and all.  It's very
simple, and it does pretty much exactly what we need it to do.  All
you have to do is hit Alt+PrintScreen to get a screenshot of the
focused window.

The Gnome Documentation Style Guide specifies that screenshots should
NOT have a drop shadow or other visual adornments.  So people taking
screenshots using gnome-screenshot should open gconf-editor and make
sure /apps/gnome-screenshot/border_effect is set to none.

--
Shaun