Re: GConf reverse string freeze breakage approval

Today at 13:48, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> 	So, if I was a translator, and I looked at the schedule I would expect
> the string freeze for a given module to be in effect once the maintainer

With "given module" == "one of precisely 69 modules with translatable
UI" (with two modules having two translatable domains)?  Yeah, it may
seem easy to you as a module maintainer, but it's not easy for
translators.

> rolled the 2.11.91 release or once the GNOME 2.11.91 release was
> official. I'd probably just have waited until August the 11th.

http://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning_2fTwoPointEleven doesn't say
that.  I didn't put out this schedule, I am just following it.  It
should be easily editable by the release team (it's a Wiki after all),
if there are any changes in it.  How are we to know otherwise?

> 	All I'm really saying is that I don't think the hard string freeze was
> in effect when this change was approved or committed.

And all I'm saying is that I disagree.  But it doesn't matter much
now, we shouldn't make a big fuss out of it since it's already
approved (precisely for the reason that we're *early* in the string
freeze).  There is some merit in the claim that freeze only starts
after the tarball is released, but it's unpractical to make it that
(for explained reasons: tracking 69 modules is simply too much). And
according to schedule, tarballs should have been ready by 8th, so we
are already using that as a guideline.

Cheers,
Danilo