Re: Splitting gnome-games into domains

Today at 13:17, Callum McKenzie wrote:

> a) Timing: I assume that this is going to be disruptive enough for
> translators that it should wait until the beginning of the 2.13/2.14
> cycle.

Yes.

> b) The effect on translators: I don't really know how you guys do things.
> Is this going to be a major change from the translators perspective?

It is going to be a big change.  Translators will have to upload
dozens of files instead of a single file.

> c) Examples: Does anyone know, off the top of their head, of another
> package that uses multiple domains that I could use as an example? (I
> haven't looked hard yet.)

Gtk+ (for object properties, look at po-properties subdir),
Gnome-Applets (for gweather locations, look at po-locations), Gimp...

> d) Any objections to doing it at all? As I said: it *seems* reasonable to
> me, but I'm not an expert on this sort of thing. Note that it is also a
> lot of domains: one for each game and another for the shared library.

While I don't generally have any objection, I'm a bit worried about
the large number of new domains.  Nothing too major though ("core"
Gnome already has nearly 100 modules for translation).

There are other benefits in using multiple domains, such as easier to
track "complete games" translation (eg. translators will be able to
better prioritise their work toward completing games that are closer
to full translations, etc).

Another approach might be to use context markers (look at Glib docs
and Q_ macro) with questionable messages, but this kind of messages
might be discovered only too late.

But, in general, I am FOR splitting it into several translation
domains.

Cheers,
Danilo