Re: erratic commit records?

Clytie Siddall wrote:
Hi everyone :)

I started asking the cvs people, but it seems to be something I'm doing wrong. I wish I could work out what. :(

Christian Rose got me the following data. I have translated or completed the translations on all the files on this page...:

http://l10n-status.gnome.org/gnome-2.10/vi/desktop/index.html

down to and including gnome-applets. I have checked them manually, string by string, and run them through msgfmt. Once I was satisfied there were _no_ missing, incomplete or fuzzy strings, I committed them. Yet the data shows several files unchanged. Some commit OK, some don't.

module branch status (translated / fuzzy / untranslated)
======================================================================= ===========
dasher gnome-2-10 99 / 0 / 34
evolution-exchange gnome-2-10 322 / 2 / 0
file-roller gnome-2-10 229 / 34 / 7
gal gnome-2-10 236 / 5 / 9
gconf-editor HEAD 72 / 25 / 1
gdm2 gnome-2-10 684 / 22 / 2
ggv HEAD 257 / 12 / 5
gnome-applets gnome-2-10 698 / 130 / 124

I've checked the actual status for these modules as well, both in their
HEAD branch and in their gnome-2-10 branch if such existed, by checking
out the modules myself and running 'intltool-update vi' to check the
current status:

module branch status last translator
======================================================================= ===========
dasher HEAD 133 / 2 / 3 Clytie Siddall
gnome-2-10 99 / 0 / 34 pclouds
----------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------
evolution-exchange HEAD 319 / 2 / 3 Phan Vinh Thinh
gnome-2-10 322 / 2 / 0 Clytie Siddall
----------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------
file-roller HEAD 179 / 52 / 28 Clytie Siddall
gnome-2-10 229 / 34 / 7 Trinh Minh Thanh
----------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------
gal HEAD 186 / 29 / 35 Trinh Minh Thanh
gnome-2-10 236 / 5 / 9 Clytie Siddall
----------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------
gconf-editor HEAD 72 / 25 / 1 Clytie Siddall
----------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------
gdm2 HEAD 595 / 117 / 26 pclouds
gnome-2-10 684 / 22 / 2 Clytie Siddall
----------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------
ggv HEAD 257 / 12 / 5 Clytie Siddall
----------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------
gnome-applets HEAD 649 / 136 / 183 pclouds
gnome-2-10 698 / 130 / 124 Clytie Siddall
----------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------

All those files with my name are complete. Where on earth are they??

Thus, I couldn't find any erratic entries on the status pages; they all appear to be correct. The problems could be caused by any number of reasons: You could simply be committing to another branch than the one you intended, you could be using a po file from a gnome-2-10 branch and be committing it to HEAD and vice versa, and so on.

Please tell me if I'm doing the right thing: I am following the instructions on the page about using Gnome cvs as a translator.

1. I  checkout the .po directory of the file I'm translating or editing.

(a) if a HEAD file:

cvs -z3 -d :ext:clyties cvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome co FILENAME/po

(b) if a gnome-2-10 file:

cvs -z3 -d :ext:clyties cvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome -r gnome-2-10  FILENAME/po

2. I even change the name of the directory on my drive, once I've checked it out, to gnome-2-10-FILENAME if it's a gnome-2-10 branch file.

3. Once I've finished the file, I change to the gnome/HEAD/FILENAME/po or gnome/gnome-2-10/gnome-2-10-FILENAME/po directory and run:

cvs -z3 -d :ext:clyties cvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome up -Pd

4. Then I edit the ChangeLog.

5. Then I run:

cvs commit

which says it's committed the changes.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. It's really frustrating to have done all that work, and not see it update at all.

:(

Thankyou for any help you can offer.

Your problem is Step 3. By running cvs up, you overwrite the po file you've just edited. Try the following steps instead:

1. cvs co {-r gnome-2-10} module/po
2. cd module/po
3. edit your_translation.po, ChangeLog
4. cvs commit

# Adam

--

Adam Weinberger
adamw magnesium net || adamw FreeBSD org