Re: [Fwd: GDM Login - Cinnabar Linux]

Honza:

maybe I was not clear in my previous question.
All locales what are in gdmlanguages.c file appear in GDM login (i.e.
including French) on Cinnabar Linux build 32.

Great. I thought you included French in the list of missing languages in your previous email. I must have misread.

But my question is, who decides what additional territories appear for
each of available locale.
E.g. for Spanish, there is Spanish and Spanish (Mexico) available in
GDM login.
I checked all available locales (/usr/lib/locale) and there are many
territories variants - e.g.
for Spanish:
es_AR.utf8
es_BO.utf8
es_CL.utf8
es_CO.utf8
es_CR.utf8
es_DO.utf8
es_EC.utf8
es_ES.utf8
es_ES euro

for French:
fr_BE.utf8
fr_BE euro
fr_CA.utf8
fr_CH.utf8
fr_FR.utf8
fr_FR euro
fr_LU.utf8
fr_LU euro
But only few of them appear in the GDM login.
Could you please let me know who is responsible for selecting list of
locales and its territories which appear in GDM login?

I am the gdm maintainer, so I am probably the right person to work with. However, I'm not really clear how the locales in /usr/lib/locale relate to the gui/gdmlanguages.c file. Most of the work in these files have been done by people in the gnome-i18n gnome org mail alias. So I've cc:ed them for comment.

I'm not sure if these languages are supported in general by the different
flavors of Linux/UNIX.  If they are, then we should probably add the missing
languages to gdmlanguages.c and locale.alias so that they are supported.
If these languages are supported just on Solaris, we might want to simply
patch our distribution code to support the languages for our distribution.

Comments?

Brian