Re: RE: Turkmen Team-Baris Cicek

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 14:41 +0200, Baris Yoluc wrote:

> Hi Baris,
>
> I guess you are missing the main part of our purpose and this is the
> reason of all the confusion. We also know that there're lots of other
> factors that affect linux use apart from the language support. We tell
> the samething. That is why we say the first and more challanging part
> of our task making these OS's the national OS's of these countries
> that are widely used by people. Actually all these efforts and
> financial support focus on this maybe more than developing it.

Well actually funding the development is not something very likely in
linux development. Even RedHat, which gets the most income from the
Linux, is not paying developers. I'm not actually agree w/ the idea of
'national OS' which is non-sense considering millions of ppl living on
those countries.

> > I think best thing
>
> > you should do is to help Albenian and Turkmenian teams in
> translating,
>
> > then get the strength of saying 'Most of linux projects are
> supporting
>
> > these languages'.
>

> Most of linux projects are supporting these languages and so few
> people uses them?  So what is your suggestion? Let us develop this and
> so few people continues to use it?? Ok we managed our share it is not
> up to us how widely it is used?? As for the Albanian and Turkmen
> Teams. This is what we want to contribute to mostly. Of course we
> appreciate their great work of developing it. The second part,
> widening it is what we want to contribute mainly. In Turkmenia even in
> Ministries there is no computer usage did you knew that. That is why
> there, it is far more easy to gain acceptance to the outcome of this
> project. In Turkey of course we want to contribute. Actually we have
> had a contact with them.

Seems like you didn't understand the point. You want the coordinator
role to get better standing against the government representatives
right? How can that makes you any stronger. Only thing that comes into
my mind is that you'll say "We are in control of things for those
projects". But what i'm saying is, if you want 'linux' to be their
choice then Linux' being 100% Albanian supported would be more
convincing. And to achive that you don't need to be coordinator, but
just the contributer w/ your translations. It seems to me wrong to make
people use Linux as much as forcing ppl to use Windows. However needless
to say that ppl in Turkmenia or Albenia will choose to use Linux since
it's the only option w/ their native language support, for now though.

Baris.