Re: Turkmen Team

tor 2004-03-04 klockan 14.10 skrev Baris Cicek:
> > I guess you are missing the main part of our purpose and this is the
> > reason of all the confusion. We also know that there're lots of other
> > factors that affect linux use apart from the language support. We tell
> > the samething. That is why we say the first and more challanging part
> > of our task making these OS's the national OS's of these countries
> > that are widely used by people. Actually all these efforts and
> > financial support focus on this maybe more than developing it.
>
> Well actually funding the development is not something very likely in
> linux development. Even RedHat, which gets the most income from the
> Linux, is not paying developers.

This is not true. Red Hat, aswell as most other major Linux
distributions and many Linux solution providers, are actively funding
free software development by employing some key developers. Granted, the
overwhelming majority of free software developers aren't paid for their
work on free software, but to say no developers are paid is twisting the
truth.

But that general discussion is most likely offtopic for this list. I'm
just trying to make a point in that commercial interests are involved in
free software today, and have in many cases been so for many years. It's
just that the many successful examples of this aren't always easy to
spot, as these commercial interests have grasped the concept of free
software and are interacting with the community just like you and me.

So, please, no more general badmouthing of commercial interests. They
have made an offer. Let's learn what they have to offer and want to do,
and give them some guidance to helping us. We all benefit from that.