Re: Re: Starting Sudanese Team

Hi Barış,

Am Do, den 04.03.2004 schrieb Barış Yoluç um 12:31:
> Again as we mentioned before we fully support your aim of "a larger
> free software project" and don't intend to obtain any commercial gain
> from the sales of the outcome. We gave a detailed information about
> our intensions and our special company structure and I assure you
> being a company has no difference in our situation than being an
> individual. You can also accept "Mehmet Ali Erdal" as the coordinator
> if it is more appropriate for you.

I followed this discussion more or less, and what comes to my mind right
now, is:
I don't think you got right what we in the GTP are doing here.

So, I try to clarify:
We are working on TRANSLATIONS of the GNOME Desktop to native languages.
We are doing this in our free time and we are doing this, to see our own
desktops and the desktops of people of our nation translated.
If a government decides to choose Linux as main OS, that's fine for us.
And if they did choose it, because we did a great translation job that's
even better!
But the main thing is, that we are mostly translating.
For sure, some teams also have efforts on promoting Gnome/Linux in their
countries (we in the German do that on fairs; on the CeBIT this year,
for example).

So, I don't see, why our translation coordinators for the languages in
question should change. They are doing a great job as far as I see it.
If you want to give them (the team) a hand and help out translating
stuff, get in touch with the actual coordinators and ask them where help
is needed.
If you want to promote Linux in your countries, you are also free to do
that, and it's highly recommended to work together with the coordinators
of the translation project in those matters. But I really don't see, why
our established teams should change the coordinator...

Just my opinion and if I did express something wrong in what the GTP is
doing, feel free to correct me (Christian? Kjartan? Danilo? or however
feels to clarify ;)

Cheers,
Manuel

--
manuel@matronix.de
http://www.matronix.de - http://www.elektronik-kompendium.de/public/borchers

 12:52:49 up 1 day, 22:23,  1 user,  load average: 0.25, 0.14, 0.09