Re: I18n toll wishlist

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 15:36 +0300, Metin Amiroff wrote:
> John,
>
> > 1) Headers in POT files are fuzzy. In general, I would think the
> > following information could be intelligently defaulted:
> >  - title, package, version, copyright, language-team, charset(UTF-8 for
>
> As Danilo has already noticed, translation tools handle this quite nice.
> Again I am having no problems using Kbabel for this stuff.
I've never used KDE, so I wasn't aware the tool existed.

I tried gtranslator, but it didn't let me enter my language code, team address, etc. and the
translation memory seemed buggy.

Actually, I was thinking that the pot files auto-generated on the l10n-
status page could have most of this information filled in (particularly
the stuff in point #1. It would have *greatly* reduced my confusion when
I first started.

> > 4) It would be nice if some process-translation added last-translator
> > automatically to the translator-credits.
>
> As a process-translation user, I'd like to add that this is not a good idea.
> Translators generally want to be in control of all their translations (even
> translators-credits section) and each translation group has their own
> translator-credits
> translation style. Some type elder translators first, some do the
> opposite. Some of us
> even add our mailing list information to that section. I think
> automatization can hurt here
> more than it could help.
Maybe a command-line option for the smaller teams/lazier maintainers?