Re: I18n toll wishlist

Hi John,

Yesterday at 22:18, John C. Barstow wrote:

> 1) Headers in POT files are fuzzy. In general, I would think the
> following information could be intelligently defaulted:
>  - title, package, version, copyright, language-team, charset(UTF-8 for
> most, I think)
>  - last-translator and first-author could be taken from a config file.
>  - PO-Revision-Date could default to POT-Creation-Date when generated
> (since most tools/scripts set it properly).
> Having to set these manually for every single header is a drag; early on
> I was guessing for a lot of these. Those with the header already set are
> easy to maintain.

PO editors usually handle all of these.  At least, Emacs po-mode
adjusts PO-Revision-Date with the date of last saving the file, and
if there's no header at all, it adds my own preset header, etc.

> 2) I can't figure out how to build a glossary automatically from a
> collection of po files. I tried msgmerge but it ran all the headers
> together.

Just keem them separate and run eg.
  msgmerge -C glossary1.po -C glossary2.po -C glossary3.po sr.po template.pot

> 3) I can't figure out how to apply a glossary correctly; I always end up
> with stuff that fails the msgfmt check.  This may be related to #2.

You should not blindly "unfuzzy" messages from glossary, if that's
what you're doing.  Otherwise, I don't know what might be the
problem.

> 4) It would be nice if some process-translation added last-translator
> automatically to the translator-credits.

I think it's bad â the committer may not be the "last-translator",
and sometimes, even if she is, she might be first translator as well,
and already somewhere in translation-credits.  OTOH, I don't use
process-translation, so you've got others to convince. :)

Cheers,
Danilo