Re: HOLD ON! — Re: Gnome applets and new strings

tor 2004-06-24 klockan 04.28 skrev Gareth Owen:
> I just committed Danilo's patch to split the locations into their own
> textual domain.
>
> Could whoever controls the translation status pages add the new
> gweather/po-locations domain.  I think the decision was that it
> shouldn't go into gnome-core at the moment, so probably it should go
> into extras for the time being.

I've now added gnome-applets-locations to the desktop section of the
status pages. The choice of naming is so that it's perhaps a bit more
obvious what module it's in.

My reasoning for me putting it in the desktop section is that
gnome-applets is part of the desktop, and so for a fully translated
desktop even these locations need to be translated. I'm not fully
convinced either way, though.

If it is not put in the desktop section, translators may mistakenly
believe that they have translated all of the GNOME core, when they in
fact have not.

If we put it in the desktop section, it adds a huge amount of strings to
translate, strings which aren't the most visible. But they're not
invisible in the interface either.

Given these two not optimal options I think that we should aim high and
put it in the desktop section. After all, having it seperated in a
seperate domain (big thanks to those who worked on that!) makes it
rather easy to downprioritize by a team if necessary. And in the end,
these strings should IMHO move to the Translation Project, since the
location strings aren't GNOME specific, and can and should be reused.