HOLD ON! — Re: Gnome applets and new strings

Today at 11:26, Metin Amiroff wrote:

> I just discovered that gnome-applets module now has over 2000 new
> translatable strings.

Actually, it's closer to 2500 new strings ;)

> Most of them are counrty names. I remember the discussion that was
> pointing to TP's county names.

Not really â most of them are city names: since there're not more than
300 U.N. recognized countries, it's obvious why not all of them could
be countries ;)

>  Most of the teams have these countries tranlsated at translation
> project. Shouldn't we just use it rather add these new strings
> to gnome-applets and translate them again?

These're basically the same strings we used to have in Evolution
previously.  This means that if you had 1.4 translated, you should
extract a PO file from there, and reuse that translation.

Yet, I advise you to wait a bit before doing so (or translating these
strings), since we're about to create a separate translation domain
for these locations, and I think we won't count these into "core"
desktop statistics (not on me to decide, but that's my wish).

Track bug #89746 for details.

Cheers,
Danilo