Re: New team for "Nasa Yuwe" language

tis 2004-06-08 klockan 10.28 skrev Sven Herzberg:
> Am Mo, den 07.06.2004 um 12:17 Uhr +0200 schrieb Elros Cyriatan:
> > http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=PBB gives more
> > information. There's a collective ISO 639-2 code (sai) for several
> > languages, among which Páez/Paezan (==Nasa Yuwe). It does have a unique
> > SIL code (PBB), but I don't know whether that counts.
>
>   This is not a problem and should IMO be threated like dialects in
> other languages. Eg. there's de_DE for German in Germany, one can use
> de-x-bavaria_DE for the bavarian dialect of German, I never tried this
> (I'm from northern Germany), but someone told me that this should work.

"de-x-bavaria_DE" or even "de-x-bavaria" looks broken to me. The only
modifier that the locale naming standard allows that I know about is the
@ one, so it should probably be something like "de bavarian", or
"de bavarian_DE" in full. Or perhaps "de bav" or "de bay" or something.
My point is, the @ modifier must be used.

Also, the usefulness of translations into dialects can be debated. The
"dialects" that seem to have the best reasons for translating into them
(like widespread adoption, use in writing/literature, and significant
differences from the mother language) usually also eventually get the
status as a seperate language anyway, in my experience. But that's a
whole seperate discussion and probably not fit for this thread.