Re: Translation of numeric values (application gnome-schedule)

P. Van Hoof:
The application, however, must also parse crontab records like

1 2 3 * * ls # Untitled

to something readable.

Would would become:

At every first minute of the second hour of the third day of every
month, run ls

gnome-schedule will, at this moment, translate it to this sentence.
[...]
Unless we use multiple lines we cannot show it the way you propose. It
would look like this:

Untitled | At this hour: 2 | ls | | At this minute: 1 | | | At this day of the month: 3 | |

This is as hard as [raw crontab] to understand

No, it isn't. Au contraire, I think it's easier to understand than both the raw crontab and your example, which is a long and winding sentence that I have to read slowly and carefully to be sure that I understood correctly. The above table, on the other hand, is fairly easy to read: The important parts are visually separated and easy to see, with proper numbers, and not mungled into a long and tedious sentence.

What I mean with that is that the user still has to compute the actual
frequency using that thing we call 'his or her brains'. It's still not
something a human brain can understand in a glitch. Which is IMHO the
responsibility of a userinterface. Computers can be programmed to make
it supersupersuper simple for people. Lets use that capacity. Even if
that means putting some more efforts in our translations and
translation-related code.

Neither your way or Cristian Rose's way relieves the user from the need to think. However, his is, IMO, less demanding.

The usage of such multiple lines would destroy the purpose of gnome-
schedule: To simplify the system-schedule and to make it accessible for

It's not simpler just because it doesn't have numbers.

--
Å. Skjæveland