Re: Wording in German: Toolbox

Am Montag, den 26.07.2004, 18:04 +0200 schrieb Roman Joost:

> I spoke to Ellen[2] to find out what she think. She said, that
> "Werkzeugfenster" will be more descriptive. "Werkzeugkasten" is a bit
> odd, because she have to think first, what I'm refering to. Thats
> exactly my feeling. If I were a new user, "Werkzeugfenster" will be a more
> descriptive word for the Toolbox than "Werkzeugkasten". But, maybe I'm
> totally wrong and other may think of a completly different
> window/dialog?

Uuh, tricky one.  "Werkzeugfenster" is indeed more descriptive, though
only if you're familiar with the term "Fenster" (i.e. window) in the
computer sense.  "Werkzeugkasten" has the advantage of not being a newly
created word -- every German will know what a "Werkzeugkasten" is.

In any case, I think it'd be a good idea to make the title of the of the
tool box window more descriptive, i.e. set it to "Tool Box" or "Tool Box
- GIMP".  Right now the title is just "The GIMP" (or plain "GIMP" in the
German translation).

With that suggestion applied, I'd lean 60:40 towards "Werkzeugkasten".
Otherwise I'd go for "Werkzeugfenster" to make clear the word is
referring to one of the GIMP windows.

Note that I claim no expertise or even just above-average knowledge
whatsoever in these matters, so please take everything I wrote in this
mail with a grain of salt.

Just my 2 ¢,
--Daniel