Re: Low saxon transllation

Moyen Keith

Not really. In Germany the German based Saß orthography (or variations
there of) has become the most uses one. It is a very criticized
orthography though - it was made at a time when Germany didnt accept
other languages than German - this is the reason that some people thing
that the orthography makes Lowlands Saxon look like a dialect of German;
Actually the orthography was created that way.

I based my nds_DE and nds_DE@traditional locales (created together with
Pablo @ MandrakeSoft) on this orthography.

I think that the modified East Frisia Low Saxon orthography (based on
Saß) has official status in Ostfriesland - but I am not sure.

In the Netherlands Dutch based orthograpies are used. Some are official,
like the orthography of Drenthe Low Saxon.

Information on the various orthographies can be found here:
(not fully updated)

http://kenneth.phileon.nl/nds-dialects.php

There is work on developing a general orthography for all Low Saxon
variaties in Germany and the Netherlands. This orthography ANS
(Algemeyne Neddersassische Schryvwys' (DE) - Algemeyne Nedersaksische
Schryvwyse (NL)) seems to have gained momentum/acceptance in some
science circles, like the www.lowlands-l.net one)

I will be creating a nds_DE@ANS and nds_NL@ANS locale soonish.

ANS uses the following letters: abcdefghijklmnop(q)rstuvw(x)yzüöä
(q and x might be used in German or Dutch loanwords)

Saß uses abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzüöä and optionally ß

Gröyten, Kenneth