Re: Adding a local to Fedora Core 2 test1

Kaixo!

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 07:36:38PM +0100, Danilo Segan wrote:

> I never had a problem even without adding lines like this, except for
> the annoying message of "Locale 'x' not found, using C locale" in
> terminal.

Well, with gtk2 it is a bit less a problem, as gtk2 uses utf-8
internally and uses utf8 functions to read keyboard input;
with gtk1 the "annoying message" abouve would have meant that all
text would display wrongly, and that input will be all wrong too.

But even with gtk2, lack of locale support means that compose and
dead keys doesn't work properly when managed by the X server (I know
gtk2 implements some dead keys and compose support itself, but it
is still less versatile than what is possible with X11 (you cannot
type the circumflex letters used by esperanto, for example).

And there is also the case of the things like date and number format,
sorting order, etc.

Yes, things improved a lot, and now even with a broken locale a Gnome
system is usable;
however, if someone goes trough the trouble of defining a locale,
then it is better to use it.

> I don't really know where does this cause a problem, so I really
> wonder where's that?

It caused a lot of trouble with gtk1; and there still are a lot of gtk1
programs around (gtoaster, evolution, xmms, to name a few); not to
mention the non-gtk and non-qt ones.

> I suppose incorrect Compose tables get used, but I was perfectly able
> to see translated strings with no other changes except for installing
> a new locale.  And seeing translations was what I said this would
> solve.

Well, for seeing translations there is no need to define
a locale at all.

LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 LANGUAGE=xx
will be enough to see translations in "xx" language.

But if a locale definition is installed, in order to fully test
and use it, it is necessary not only to make the libc aware of
it, but also XFree86.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Catalan or Esperanto]
[min povas skribi en valona, esperanta, angla aux latinidaj lingvoj]

PGP signature