Re: Adding a local to Fedora Core 2 test1

Hi Pablo,

Pablo Saratxaga <pablo@mandrakesoft.com> writes:

> No, it is not.
> He needs also to make XFree86 accept it:
>
> - edit /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/locale.dir to add a line:
>
> en_US.UTF-8/XLC_LOCALE:	tk_TM.UTF-8
>
> - edit /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/compose.dir to add a line:
>
> en_US.UTF-8/Compose:	tk_TM.UTF-8
>
> (for a lot of UTF-8 locales the lines are already there, but if that
> is not the case then XFree86 will simply set the locale to "C",
> which is quite bad)

I never had a problem even without adding lines like this, except for
the annoying message of "Locale 'x' not found, using C locale" in
terminal.

I don't really know where does this cause a problem, so I really
wonder where's that?

I suppose incorrect Compose tables get used, but I was perfectly able
to see translated strings with no other changes except for installing
a new locale.  And seeing translations was what I said this would
solve.

Although, I may be wrong -- it was a long time since I've played with
that, so thanks for your description.

Cheers,
Danilo