Re: Use of American/British English

Hi,

Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 06:25, Christian Rose wrote:
>
>>Every application in the desktop using its own English flavour is not
>>the recipe for a consistent desktop experience.
>
> Sorry, but how could the `desktop experience' be affected by the
> language of the original strings? The user will see the translated
> strings only, so only they need to be consistent for a 'consistent
> desktop experience'.

If the original strings are inconsistent throughout the desktop, you
increas the likeliness of the translations being inconsistent too.
TM or no TM. That's just how humans work, in my experience.

> Of course, I agree that it will make the life easier for translators to
> use one consistent spelling and terminology in the source strings across
> the GNOME desktop. And en_US seems to be the spelling in use in most
> programs.

:)

(BTW and off the top of my head: Martyn asked what language RH uses
when American English is chosen, and AFAIK, it uses what's in the
msgid strings. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Perhaps one could use scripts of a similar kind to what e. g. en_GB
translators often do from en_US, but for "uniformizing" the msgid
strings?

BR,
Gudmund