Re: Unicode Fonts and Vera

Pablo Saratxaga wrote:
> Kaixo!
>
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 04:48:55PM +0200, Metin Amiroff wrote:
>

>>and monospace TTFs too. We had a conversation
>>about the unicode console fonts with Pablo Saratxaga
>>in the past and it came to the result that we need a good
>>console font creator for that job, as current unicode
>>console fonts we are using are his modifications made by hand.
>

> Erh, no, what I said was about fonts used in X11;
> there was then (and still is, but less) a lack of good fonts for X11,
> so I added some glyphs to bitmap fonts; which is ugly, vectorial fonts
> are much much better, but real font-making knowledge is needed to have
> something good.
>
> As for font coverage, a font covering all scripts isn't necessarly a
> good idea; however what should be the case imho is that a font covering
> latin script includes the needed glyphs for all languages using latin
> alphabet; and a font with cyrillic should include all needed cyrillic
> glyphs and not only basic ones, etc.

I can't agree with this - if you write using several scripts inside one
document you definitely want that font to cover all teh scripts used, or
chnaces are very good that the others look way out of place - inline
quotations (as opposed to a separate, outline paragraph) can make this
*MUCH* worse.

> They lack a lot of glyphs: polish, romanian, esperanto, vietnamese,
> maltese, lithuanian, latvian, hungarian, welsh, azeri are some of
> the not covered languages (or maybe some of the accented chars can be
> composed on the fly with opentype method? still, with the existing
> accents in the font, it will suffice only for romanian and welsh)
> Most of the missing glyphs could easily be added, as glyphs with the
> same diacritics are already present.
> The only real new ones are: the schwa, vietnamese ohorn and uhorn.

Vera does not contain the combining variants of the accents. even if it
did, the support for using such is in general really crappy.