Re: Encoding problem with Azerbaijani translations of ISO-3166 names

Kaixo!

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 07:29:20PM +0200, Metin Amiroff wrote:

> Yes it is :) It is actually the second letter of my name either.
> It is Mətin Əmirov. I wish it was something like "ä" or so
> because they sound the same (like the "a" in English Cat).
> and "ä" is a little more polular.

In fact "ä" was actually used in short period after the reintroduction
of the latin alphabet, but "ə" has been reintroduced again shortly
after; it seems that the schwa has a very symbolic power.

See:
http://www.azeri.org/Azeri/az_english/81_folder/81_articles/81_alphabet_changes1.html
http://www.azeri.org/Azeri/az_english/81_folder/81_articles/81_alphabet_changes2.html
11 alphabet changes (3 of them radical: arabic->latin, latin->cyrillic, cyrillic->latin) in less than 65 years.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Catalan or Esperanto]
[min povas skribi en valona, esperanta, angla aŭ latinidaj lingvoj]

PGP signature