Re: Spanish Gnome Translation Project publishes GR about Rossetta

Yesterday at 22:40, Francisco Javier F. Serrador wrote:

> Another issue we can argue, is that Rossetta is closed source. It is a
> web service, but it could be nicer to allow us to hack code into it. I
> think that we must use a completely free software translation process.

Depends on who are "we".  I myself will not use non-free software for
my work, but I cannot forbid anyone to use it if they so please.

> Currently I think Gnome must establish a general policy, not allowing
> developers to import translations from Rossetta directly, but allowing
> translation teams to use Rossetta if they think it can be useful.

That's a current Gnome "policy", so there's nothing to establish:
anyone can use whatever they want for their translation.  Projects
residing in Gnome CVS use GTP for translation, which relegates
per-language translations to language teams.  So, no developer can
form another parallel TP as long as the project is in Gnome CVS,
unless explicitely allowed to do so.  To my knowledge, no project has
ever asked for exclusion from GTP.

GTP is not going to play police over any of the teams, and if
translators use Windows (which is, last I heard, proprietary/non-free
software) for running their favourite PO editting tool, then why
should we stop them?

I'm not going to use proprietary software, but that's my personal
choice, and I can try to convince others to follow my example, but I
won't force them into anything.

I think that you had your say, and that there's nothing else to
discuss on gnome-i18n now.  There's a lot more proprietary
translation software you didn't choose to comment on, so it seems as
if more is involved.

Cheers,
Danilo