Re: www.LANG.gnome.org translation

Hi Francesco,

Today at 2:09, Francesco Levorato wrote:

> This is my first post to the list,

Welcome!

> I am joining
> this list for 2 main reasons (yes, I love to be schematic): I
> volunteered to help manage it.gnome.org and I visited this page [1] and
> opened all the different languages pages in new tabs. The main problem I
> noticed is that a common UI is missing. gnome.org presents itself in a
> consistent way, it.gnome.org in another one,  *.gnome.org in one more.
> In my opinion, all sites of the form www.LANGCODE.gnome.org should be a
> _translation_ of www.gnome.org. With translation I mean, same content
> (translated of course), same graphics, same place for links (after all
> one of the GNOME main concerns is about usability, isnt it?).

Nope, I strongly disagree.  We should provide translations on main
gnome.org web site, if we're talking about the same content.

HTTP provides a mechanism to support content translation based on
user desires and availability on the server: Accept-Language and
Content-Language headers, as part of "content negotiation" features.

IMO, "www.de.gnome.org" means content *customised* for Deutschland
users, not necessarily translated (and that content could be
translated to several languages itself) .  Those are two independent
issues.

Just take a look at other web pages which support translations
(gnu.org, debian.org, etc.).

Of course, it would still be nice if all the web sites followed some
"gnomey" look, just like many other Gnome-related web-pages do
(FootNotes, Gnome Support,...).

> I have already discussed this topic in the #webhackers IRC channel and
> it was agreed that the main problem would be the translation management.
> I am posting here to collect ideas, impressions, pros and cons.

Indeed, getting translations of regular Gnome web pages is very
desireable.  But that has nothing to do with the domain name chosen
there.  When you find some time to take a look, be sure to also check
out xml2po (part of gnome-doc-utils) which might help in translation
management part.

I don't want to get too technical now, but WML (used for most Gnome
web pages) is XML language, so it should be no problem to make use of
it for translation with xml2po.

> Thanks for your attention, I hope not to have bored you,

Not at all.  I really hope you find the time to move forward with
translation of Gnome web pages!  I'll try to help as much as I can,
though I make no promises about how much time I can devote to it. :(

Cheers,
Danilo