Re: gettext tool hacks wanted

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 08:04:06PM +0000 or thereabouts, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> Hi,
> At the moment the page
> http://l10n-status.gnome.org/gnome-2.10/index.html has become quite red
> due to the addition of several cities for the gnome-applets/po-locations
> domain.
> In particular there are about 3000 fuzzy  and 1000 empty messages per
> language (intltool 0.32).
>
> Is there a way, probably using the gettext tools, to:
> 1. if fuzzy, remove fuzzy flag, copy msgid to msgstr.
> 2. if untranslated, copy msgid to msgstr ?

There has to be a better way of doing this than one person (or
more) per language doing this by hand. I have just spent the
entire afternoon wading through the additions, and I am less
than a quarter of the way through.

Urgh.

I was wondering how to write a script to do something along the
lines of what you suggest. The only difference is that if the word
"airport" crops up in it, I don't want the fuzzy marker removed,
because that will need translating later, and I can just grep for
the fuzz.

There's a ton more of AFB (Air Force Base), CS (Coastal/Coastguard
Station), USAF (US Air Force) and a bunch of other sets of initials.
Are other people bothering to translate those, or are they leaving
them as "Usaf" and so on?

> p.s.
> Talking about locations, it's time to fix the city names per
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2004-November/msg00113.html

Yes! This would get rid of a bunch of typos in the msgids, too.

Telsa