Re: intltool XML string problem: bugzilla 15107

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 14:36, Rodolfo M. Raya wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 09:14, Bill Haneman wrote:
> > Hi Guys:
> >
> > I draw your attention to bug 15107;

Oops, I mean 151017.

>  it seems intltool-update is munging
> > whitespace in XML element content.  We don't expect leading and trailing
> > whitespace to be preserved, but shouldn't internal whitespace be
> > preserved?
>
> Hi,
>
> XML standard says that you have to use  xml:space attribute to specify
> what to do with white spaces in an element. There are two possible
> values for this attribute:
>
> - preserve: keep all white spaces (including leading and trailing)
>
> - default: do whatever you wish with white space; this usually includes
> collapsing white spaces.

Right, ugh.  I forget that 'default' was liable to muck about with
internal whitespace counts anyway it liked.

I will try xml:space="preserve" to see if this fixes the problem (it
will of course make the XML files a little harder to maintain since
leading and trailing whitespace will have to be eliminated from the
translatable elements).

- Bill