gnome-applets/po-locations queries

I was looking at gnome-applets/po-locations/ and there are
a number of abbreviations I do not understand.

I assume that AFB is Air Force Base. But what are...

AAF (American Air Force?)
Ab   (if it was AB, I would guess that it was air base, but it is
     consistently capitalised like that)
AFB
ASDF
Awrs (Cuba and Durango -- is this part of the place name?)
Fwf (Yokosuka Fwf)
MCAS (Yuma MCAS)
NAS

...and what's this Yongsan H-208?

In addition, there are a number of placenames which look
wrong. (Oelwen seems to be Oelwein when you type the airport
code into Google, for example.) I filed a bug for the first,
but now I have several more, so I'll file it once for them all.

What about accents on placenames? In the original strings,
I mean. I see Nimes for Nîmes, Guantanamo for Guantánamo,
Keflavik and Reykjavik for Keflavík and Reykjavík, Malaga
for Málaga, and so on. I thought at first that perhaps you
couldn't do non-ASCII in the original strings, but there are
accents in the original strings for a few other placenames.

Should these be accented or not? In either the original
strings or the translations?

And finally, is it my imagination, or does the string
"Atlantic" refer to two different places? Atlantic as a
town/city/airport placename; and Atlantic as in the ocean.
If someone can confirm that, then I shall file a separate
bug on that one, because alas, they need separating into
two different Atlantics, since the ocean has its own name
in more than one language.

Telsa