CVS gnome with jhbuild

Hi,
  Sorry if this is not the right place for this
question. I just thought that a lot of people here
must have experience of building GNOME from CVS
using jhbuild.
  I have installed jhbuild and downloaded CVS GNOME
from anoncvs.gnome.org, with moduleset = 'gnome28'
Most things seemed to build fine, and I can run a
GNOME session using the newly installed stuff. The
only thing that puzzles me is that the splash screen
says GNOME 2.6 rather than the 2.8 I would have
expected. Is it just because that was the last
stable release?

Regards,
Gora