Re: How to do the language code switch for Norwegian Bokmål: no -> nb

mån 2004-08-02 klockan 17.20 skrev Åsmund Skjæveland:
> Some within the Norwegian translation teams are now arguing that it's
> time for GNOME to use 'nb' as the language code for Norwegian Bokmål
> rather than the obsolete 'no'. KDE has long since switched, and libc now
> includes 'nb' as a real locale as well as 'no'. Kjartan Maraas is AFAIK
> in charge, but he hasn't been heard from in a while.
> 	What is the best way to do this, technically? Some argue that the
> install scripts of the GNOME apps should be modified so that 'nb.po' is
> installed both as 'no.mo' and 'nb.mo', so that there is only one po
> file, but two working locale codes in a transition period.
> 	If this approach requires the cooperation of all maintainers, it's
> probably not the best way to go, but if it can be included in intltool
> and make sure all GNOME releases then depend on a recent intltool, it
> could work.
> 	Having two po files 'no.po' and 'nb.po' and letting the translators
> make sure they're identical is apparently not a desirable option.
> Probably the sentiment is that then the translators have to do this
> extra step for every commit, there's always a chance that someone will
> forget, while changin the build script to copy nb.po to no.po would only
> have to be done once.
>
> Can it be done for GNOME 2.8?

If it involves some hacks to make the transition work smoothlessly, I'd
say it's something that should be made early in the development cycle
rather than very late, so that it can be properly tested. So, given
this, perhaps testing this in HEAD as soon as the modules branch for
GNOME 2.8 would be better than including this in GNOME 2.8 at this
point. But I'm not sure I understand every aspect of what needs to be
involved here, so that's just my uninformed opinion.

> How much work, roughly, would be involved to make it work?

Kjartan, can you comment?