Re: Problem with gtk+-1 Applications in gnome 2-6

fre 2004-04-23 klockan 06.49 skrev Ingo Krabbe:
> Since I recently installed a gnome 2.6 via gentoo 'emerge -u' I
> encounter problems using gtk+-1 Applications like sylpheed and
> GnomeCard, which use iso-8859-15 or iso-8859-1 encoding and seem to be
> unable to use UTF-8 or know don't recognize UTF-8 !
>
> I tried to set gnome to use iso-8859-15 instead but it seems that the
> system encoding is set to utf-8.  I cannot find the environment setting
> or the configuration file to change this.

Where the setting for the system character set is found is usually a
very distro-specific topic. Sorry I can't help you here, since I know
nothing about Gentoo.

> This problem is quite annyoing since I currently cannot use sylpheed
> claws with my defined e-mail filters.  All localized messages for
> system commands exectued by the shell seem to display in iso8859 too,
> but I have to switch the gnome terminal by hand each time I want to see
> that characters displayed in the right way.

I supposed gnome-terminal saved the character set along with the
terminal profile, but perhaps that's not true. Have you tried editing
the terminal profile to save your preferred character set? I don't know
if it works.

> Finally I cannot imagine what has happened and help is very welcome.

Please note that this list is primarily for discussions about current
i18n development activities in GNOME, such as translation and hacking.
Perhaps you'll be more successful in finding an answer to usage problems
in a Gentoo user forum of some sort -- that's a place I myself would try
first at least.

In the hope that I've been at least somewhat helpful,